Friday, September 25, 2009

66th, #53 and #68

Those numbers refer to the items that I am thinking about tonight from my list on dad. It being dads 66th today, Happy Birthday Dad. Tonight at dinner we were talking to the kids, I asked Jackson if he could think of anything special about the date today, it took a couple of hints then he said, "Oh, it's Papas birthday! What should we do to celebrate?" They wanted to go and see Mor Mor, but she was on her way to St. George, so we couldn't do that, but it got me thinking, then I remembered Papa's 40th birthday. That year he and I smashed whipped cream pies in eachothers faces. I got to go first with the smashing, then was very reluctant to allow him to return the favor, but eventually he got me. I told the kids about that, and they had a good laugh. Too bad, the Cool Whip in our fridge was too old to make any pies to smash with, we would have had a good way to celebrate! Then, as I was thinking about pies I remembered sitting in the backyard eating Kentucky Fried Chicken and a strawberry pie in a red and white striped box with dad. It was a nice sunny day that day, I don't know why just the two of us were in the back sharing fried chicken and strawberry pie, but that was usually how things worked with dad, spur of the moment and kind of random. That is what made dad so fun!

2 comments:

Holdinator said...

Yeah, spontaneous. Dad was always really good at spontaneous.

Laurie said...

I love the memory of KFC and strawberry pie in the backyard! And the pie in the face birthday...a very memorable birthday. Great post!